To teach you Ruby we are going to explain the basic building blocks used in the Ruby language and allow you reinforce what you've learned through challenges.
When you have completed this curriculum you should understand:
- The command line and why we use it
- How to run your Ruby code interactively (irb) or from a file
- Simple types like numbers, strings, and booleans
- Data structures like arrays and hashes
- Object concepts like Classes
We're going to be working with:
- A command line program
- A text editor of your choice
Everything should be set up the night before during our Installfest. Please ensure you have everything working before you show up for the workshop.
You can verify that you have everything working by trying this out in your terminal:
$ irb >> 1 + 2 => 3 $
If you can do that, you are probably good to go.
Each lesson will look like this: